To support the Building Control team in ensuring large high rise, non-residential and/or complex projects, the effective application of building regulation knowledge and the efficient assessment and processing of building regulation applications, working with builders and/or technical staff to develop good customer relations.
Duties of the post include, but are not limited to:
- Taking responsibility for the assessment of building regulation applications for large high rise, non-residential and/or complex projects building control applications, acting as the primary contact for the client during the design phase including any design amendments during the construction phase.
- Ensure that Projects are checked and monitored with accuracy, ensuring that all statutory consultations are completed in correct timescales and that adequate evidence has been provided for verification of the design.
- Contributing to the assessment of building regulation applications for other type of developments where necessary.
- Pre and post design negotiations with clients to ensure effective compliance with the Building Regulations and technical issues.
- Assisting in the resolution, by persuasion, negotiation and formal proceedings, of problems relating to Initial Notices, design approvals, site work and final certificates.
- Examining detailed drawings and supplementary information in accordance with specified procedures and performance targets, for Building Control.
- To issue site and type approvals to clients promptly to specified standards and guidance.
- Advise/guide the industry and the public regarding Building Regulations, technical issues and company Standards.
- Promoting company services to existing and potential clients.
- Primarily inspecting projects deemed as ‘Major Projects’ by MDWSS, typically High Value Schemes (HVS), 18m+ height projects (and other non-residential/complex schemes) to ensure as far as is reasonably possible the works are in accordance with the Building Regulations
Undertake any other duties as reasonably required.
Your Skills and Experience
- In depth technical knowledge of Building Regulations and other relevant construction standards.
- Requires basic understanding of general insurance principals and terminology desirable.
- Ability to undertake site inspections to assess both quality and the cause/effect of building defects.
- Commercial awareness and ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to create not only good working relationships with other construction professionals but to be able to deal effectively with members of the public.
- The ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload within agreed parameters.
- Working knowledge of MS Outlook (email), MS Word, MS Excel.
- Demonstrable ability to use own initiative.
- Ability to motivate self and influence others.
- Excellent Communications skills.
- Flexible in personal approach
- Fully qualified Surveyor (MRICS, MCABE, MCIOB, or similar) with relevant experience is desirable but not essential.