With such a high percentage of building failures being attributed to their facades during a building’s lifetime, we have provided a few key tips to help avoid failure from the outset.
Some may seem obvious but they are imperative when deciding on the different elements and installation of the facade.
- Keep the number of specialist contractors to a minimum
- Ensure contracts provide clarity on design responsibilities and scope, with particular emphasis on interfaces
- When considering savings that may be offered/proposed at the pre-construction stage, question whether these savings have the potential to generate costs in the longer term (risk assess).
- Diarise regular design team meetings with all specialist facade contractors present.
- Engage suitably experienced facade package managers and facade consultants.
- Test unusual/untried interface details off-site.
- Agree robust QA procedures prior to starting on site.
- Construct quality and installation reference benchmark areas onsite that include examples of both the standard and non-standard details/arrangements.
- Site test 5% of all interface waterproofing details
Read more articles on the Resource Hub and sign up to receive our blog round-up.
Every care was taken to ensure the information in this article was correct at the time of publication (November 2022). Guidance provided does not replace the reader’s professional judgement and any construction project should comply with the relevant Building Regulations or applicable technical standards. For the most up to date Premier Guarantee technical guidance please refer to your Risk Management Surveyor and the latest version of the Premier Guarantee Technical Manual.