Mechanical and electrical services in buildings can suffer from defects due to poor design, materials or workmanship. Machinery Inherent Defects Insurance (MIDI) will cover the damage caused by inherent defects in such equipment.
Why do I need MIDI?
Modern homes are becoming increasingly complex with up to an estimated 20% of construction costs relating to the mechanical and electrical services that support them. For some commercial buildings this increases to as much as 40%.
MIDI cover gives you peace of mind if any defects arise in essential equipment.
What are the benefits?
Developers, owners, investors and occupiers are turning to the security and reliability of inherent defects insurance.
Our MIDI cover means:
- not relying on collateral warranties or professional indemnity insurance
- you’re able to transfer cover to future building owners
- there are funds available for repairs upon the discovery of a defect
- there is no aggregate claims limit over the lifetime of the policy
- properties are easier to sell or rent as occupiers are given peace of mind knowing protection is in place
- greater convenience with both structural and machinery inherent defects all in one policy
What does it cover?
- Space heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and water heating systems including boilers and calorifiers
- Lifts, escalators and mobility apparatus
- Lighting and electrical distribution systems
- Building security and environmental control systems
- Electrical and mechanical parts of water pumping, distribution and waste systems
- Internet-enabled or “smart” systems related to the above
What is excluded?
- Freestanding household appliances, such as a washing machine
- Computer programs, electronic data and codes, software and data storage materials
- Property perils (for example fire or water damage)
- Intentional overloading, testing, experiment or deliberate misuse of equipment
- Wear and tear or any known fault at the start of the period of insurance
How can I get it?
MIDI is standard on New Homes, Private Rental, Private Rental Select, Social Housing and Commercial warranties with Premier Guarantee. Not all warranty providers offer this type of cover.
How long is the cover for?
Five years following completion of the property (for our Private Rental Select cover designed for build-to-rent developments, MIDI cover lasts the duration of the policy).
Download this handy PDF detailing our MIDI cover.
Have a chat with us to find out more about MIDI or get a quote for a warranty today.